Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fallout II

This is a letter that I never sent. I sometimes write for therapy and this is an example of that. Almost as soon as I started writing it, I knew it would never be sent. The reason? You can't argue with a racist. Their hatred has festered too long. Sending this letter would have only made things worse and painted a political target right smack dab on my forehead.

Racism in all its forms is a disgusting, hateful relic of our primitive history. I am passionately against racism which causes me to react with equal passion when I am accused of it.

So here is my therapy session with myself. Perhaps someone will learn something from it but the cynic in me thinks not.


Mr. (NAME REMOVED),

I read the copy of your letter to Dr. Behrends concerning (a personnel matter). Although I disagree with every point you made in your letter, this letter is not about (employee's) non-renewal. I put a great deal of thought into my decision and it is final. The case will soon come before an impartial judge and the Florence City School Board of Education will abide by the judge’s decision.

I take exception to you calling this process a “high-tech lynching.” I am new to politics and have been shocked at the propensity of people to immediately pull the “race card” whenever any disciplinary action is taken against an African-American. Comparing (the employee's) case to a horrible act of violence is an injustice to the legacy of our African-Americans ancestors who suffered at the hands of stupid, primitive people.

I’m sure I will eventually get used to people like you calling me a racist if I plan to stay in politics. The problem with that is that I don’t want to “get used” to that. If and when an actual case of racism rears its ugly head, I want to recognize it as such instead of being numb to people like you and Mr. (NAME REMOVED) who seem all too willing to use that label every time an African American is reprimanded.

Another statement that that I take issue with is your statement “every controversy around hiring or retention other and Joe Hollis has been directed at African-Americans.” This statement is patently absurd. I am certain you know that, too.

My hope in writing this letter is that you will consider that pulling the race card every time an African American is disciplined is an affront to the injustices and sacrifices that your ancestors endured.


Respectfully,
Jim Fisher

No comments: