Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Corporal Punishment Update

I mentioned a couple of months ago that I intended to have the issue of corporal punishment addressed.

Well, at a recent board meeting, I made a request to have that policy addressed at the next school board work session. This coming Thursday, the systems' Policy Council will be addressing the policy with (presumably) an intent to eventually present their recommendations to the board.

I've been asked to come and observe this meeting.

THIS is why I got involved. Life doles out very few opportunities to actually make a real, positive difference in the lives of people around you. Each of us may only get a couple of chances to shine the light or reason on primitive notions about reward and punishment.

I think this is one of those opportunities.

The county of Mobile, Alabama, successfully abolished their corporal punishment policy a few years back and made national headlines. Perhaps me opening my mouth on this subject will effect a similar reaction and serve as a catalyst for statewide reform.

How cool would that be!

No comments: